At St. Nicholas CE Primary School, we teach Spanish to Years 3, 4, 5 and 6. We have adopted The Language Angels Scheme and online platform. This outlines learning objectives which comprise three progressive core strands of teaching and learning over the four years of Key Stage 2:
- Oracy - listening, speaking and social interaction. Initially, this is the most important strand for early language learning. This includes songs and rhymes as well as simple conversations or presentations.
- Literacy - reading and writing. Children will develop a basic knowledge of the writing system of the new language and, in doing this, they reinforce the understanding of their own language.
- Intercultural understanding - learning about a new culture and comparing it to their own.
In addition, two parallel strands are included:
- Knowledge about language - applying understanding gained from the study of a new language and building on their knowledge of their own language.
- Language learning strategies - developing awareness of strategies they can apply to learning any new language, or to learning in other subjects.
We also offer Little Spanish Adventures for our EYFS and KS1 children as an after school club.